2 tbsp instant coffee granules
1/4 cup hot water
125g softened butter
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 cup self raising flour
2/3 cup almond meal
150g melted dark chocolate
3/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (160 degrees fan-forced oven) and line a 12 hole muffin pan with paper cases.
- Combine coffee granules and hot water in a cup. Stir until dissolved.
- Beat butter and sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating until just combined between additions.
- Fold in half of the flour, all the almond meal and then the chocolate.
- Fold in the buttermilk, remaining flour mixture and the coffee mixture.
- Divide mixture among the paper cases. Bake for about 20 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool cakes on a wire rack.
- Decorate with a coffee icing and chocolate.
Original recipe found on The Australian Women's Weekly