1 cup caster sugar
175g butter, unsalted and softened
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
3 large eggs, beaten
2 tbsp fresh orange juice plus 1 tsp of orange essence
1 tbsp fresh orange juice
3 tsp finely grated orange rind
2 tbsp cocoa
100g dark chocolate pieces, cut into small pieces
- Cream butter and sugar together until pale, then add beaten eggs, then add sifted flour and baking powder.
- Mix the 2 tbsp orange juice with orange essence together with the rind.
- Transfer half the mixture into a second bowl.
- Mix the cocoa and 1 tbsp orange juice together.
- Into this mixture, fold in the mixed orange juice, rind and cocoa.
- Fold into the first bowl together with the chocolate pieces.
- Spoon the two mixtures randomly into cupcake liners.
- Draw a knife or skewer through the mixture to create a marbling effect.
- Bake at 150°C/300°F for 20-30 minutes until firm.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool in tray for about 5 mins, then turn out onto wire rack and allow to cool completely.
Original recipe found on apparentlyjessy