425g can pitted cherries in syrup (I used about 50 cherries)
100g dark chocolate - coarsely chopped
1 1/3 cup castor sugar
1 cup plain flour
2 tbsp self raising flour
- Pre-heat the oven to 170oC and line a 12 cupcake pan with cupcake papers.
- Drain the cherries and reserve the syrup.
- Take about 50 cherries and 3/4 cup of syrup and mash till cherries are broken up. Discard the rest of the syrup.
- Place the chocolate, butter, caster sugar and cherry mash into a saucepan. Over a low hear, stir until chocolate has melted.
- Pour into a large bowl and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Whisk in the sifted flours, then whisk in the egg. It is a runny mixture so don't worry.
- Divide the mixture evenly into the cupcake papers. The mixture doesn't rise a lot so you can probably fill the papers close to the top.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes until firm to touch.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack.
- When completely cool, ice the cupcakes with fresh cream and decorate with a cherry, either a fresh one or one from the remaining cherries.
Original recipe found on www.cupcake-creations.com